Saturday, October 24, 2009

Training Your Human: Mastering the Furniture

It's raining cats and you-know-whats today...my human is kinda glad, 'cuz there were 5 things on the family's calendar but one got cancelled and three got rained out.  It's been a ruff week around here, that's why I've been MIA.  Little Boy was sick Mon. and Tue., Boy Twin was sick Wed. and Fri. and Girl Twin was sick Thur. and Fri.  My human dad had to go out of town and my human had a gazillion things to do, so by yesterday she was run down, got a sinus attack and still had to be a timer for a swim meet.  Whew!  No wonder I got no attention whatsoever this week.

So today, they are all taking it rather easy, snuggling under blankets, drinking tea, baking, reading, catching up on DVR'd shows, knitting, and one of my favorite activities:  napping!

Which brings me to today's installment of Training Your Human.  Remember how my human used to banish me from the kitchen table bench?  And the couch in the TV room was a big no-no?  Well...ahem...I am proud to announce that I have successfully trained her to let sleeping dogs lie where they want!  How did I manage this feat, you ask?  I noticed that when she gets all busy & frazzled with the kiddies, she's less likely to push me off the bench or couch, especially if I lie there very quietly without moving.  Maybe she doesn't see me.  I also got Girl Twin to work on her, too:  "But Mom, she's so cozy lying here with me!"  I guess my human realized it's no biggy to let me catch 40 winks where I want, since I don't destroy the furniture and haven't shed much (yet!  Will she be in for a big surprise in the Spring, hee-hee!).

So this is what I'll be doing today as the rain pitter-patters against the windows:








It seems that most of my blogging buddies have already trained their humans to allow them up on the furniture; kudos!  If you haven't, take my advice and sneak up there in increments, preferably when there's a lot of commotion going on.  Before they know it, your humans will forget that they ever banished you in the first place, and you're home free!

17 comments:

  1. I so hope woo gave them some yummy treats fur doing that fur woo!

    Great work!

    Pawesome pawesome pawesome!

    After all, it is FURniture!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra
    PeeEssWoo: We hope all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope all is restored to good health soon.. I just love the snuggly picture.. All ohhs and ahs.. Hugs GJ x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you've got them trained!!

    XOXO
    Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on training your humans!

    All my dogs sleep on the "big" bed with me (they even have their own pillows - try working on that next) and have free reign of the den furniture. The living room furniture is a HUGE no-no though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go, Sedona
    my humans used to put me in my crate at night
    now I get in bed with them hee hee........
    my human brother, who is grown up, said
    does Mum let that dog do anything?
    Dad said yes
    At dog park a big dog bashed into Mum. it was going a hundred miles an hour
    her knee is now messed up and Dad has to take me for my walk

    Hope your family feel better soon
    from Buster

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sedona,

    Congratulations on successfully training your hoomans! They can be very stubborn and hard to train so you did a great job. You're a good girl too, so I know you won't ever abuse the furniture. We hope everybody feels better soon!

    Waggles,
    Bijou

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME, Sedona! We're allowed on the bed - and that's IT. Isn't that incredibly unfair!?!? Hrumph!
    We're so sorry to hear about everyone getting sick! I hope you did your best to help them nap and stuff. That sort of thing is good for bipeds who don't feel well.
    Love,
    Ammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sedona
    You are so good training your hoomans! I was banished to the couch long ago and today I'm not allowed on the couch and in bed. Too unfair,isn´t?!
    I hope everyone in your family feels better soon!
    xoxo
    Thor

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job, Sedona! That is great advice and you could make a training film for new doggies to learn from you. You have to wear down the humans. I love that girl twin helped you out also. A team effort is the best.

    licks and sniffs, Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do look so cozy! Congrats on being upgraded to the couch! I see you even got them trained to put a nice snuggly blanket on you too!! Don't know if pink is your color though, sort of clashes with your furs..... May I suggest a nice teal?

    Snorts-
    Brutus the Frenchie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work Sedona! As you saw, I'm a couch potato sometimes too. Very cozy, right!?
    Hope all yours are feeling much better. But, a nice warm day at home sounds grand.

    Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
    Sierra Rose

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am allowed and have always been allowed on the couch. However with the BF living with us now and he is talking about getting a new couch, one of which I am not allowed on!! I do not know who he thinks he is but mom needs to have a serious talk about this couch thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Right on, Sedona! Mum used to be really strict about all that stuff, but then Dad came to live with us. He's a pushover and in the end Mum gave up trying. Anyway, we can do our jobs much better when we can snuggle up close with our humans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work, Sedona. We get to slumber on the sofas, but no beds for us. That's OK, we prefer our own. So sorry to hear about all the sickies - we have had more than our share here with the grandkids too - no fun for moms and grandmoms at all. Hope all are feeling better soon.

    Woos, the OP Pack

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Sedona!
    I hope all the members of your family are feeling better now!
    Good job on the couch issue!
    You look very comfy there!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sedona is beautiful! Tollers are one of my favorite breeds :)

    Good job with the couch upgrade!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never understood why humans don't let us pets on certain furniture. I've never had that problem and am glad to see you are working on yours so that you have free run of your house. It is YOUR house after all. I sure hope everyone is feeling better by now. You didn't have any pigs visit your house did you?
    Snuggles,
    Twix

    ReplyDelete