Sunday, May 24, 2009

Baby Steps

Joy, oh joy! My family opened their backyard pool this past weekend, and I'm finally getting acquainted with water! My human had seen a "Dog Whisperer" episode (she's a Cesar Milan groupie) with a Toller who was afraid of swimming, so she is being very cautious with introducing me to it. Apparently, that Toller had accidentally fallen into the pool when she was 8 weeks old, and her human jumped in to save her and proceeded to make a REALLY BIG DEAL about it afterward, which of course only served to make the puppy more fearful of water. Silly human! So Cesar worked with her to re-introduce her to the joys of swimming, and she did great.



So here's my human, encouraging me to take a walk on the little platform between the hot tub & the pool. Note my slightly baleful expression. I spent a few minutes walking back & forth from the deck onto the platform...so far, so good.











Here's Girl Twin, telling me the water's fine and I should just take a step in...I was curious, but not too eager to dip a paw in just yet.













Then, Little Boy started playing with the orange noodle, and I couldn't help myself...I just HAD to get over there to check it out!
















And then Girl Twin made a hose out of the noodle and I got to play one of my favorite games...Bite the Water. Didn't taste quite as good as the stuff that comes out of the hose, but it was still fun!




I'm not quite ready to take the plunge yet, but I think I'll get there before the summer's through.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Sedona!
    It is pawesome that you have a pool in your house!
    I am sure you will be happy swimming and playing in there!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have your own pool?
    wow - neat!
    i'm sure you'll be swimming like a pro by the end of the summer!
    i don't have my own pool, but i live in a town near the sea, and so i will make my splashing debut in the waters close to my human's friend lotta's parents' summer house.
    i hear there are usually *"be still, my heart"* DUCKS there in the summer - care to join me for some tolling training?

    tailwags,
    sienna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think I'm pretty lucky. No real ducks but my family has plenty of rubber duckies they can float for me to retrieve :-)
    Lorenza, can dachshunds swim? I imagine it must be a little hard with shorter legs...
    Sienna, I would LOVE to swim in the ocean with you, but I think I'll have a hard time convincing my human to put me on a plane to Sweden :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are so lucky you have a pool and a fenced yard. My Momma tried to get me gently into swimming at a pond but I don't like to go in past my legpits. It's not safe. I don't like it when the humans do, either. I will swim out to them and swim in a circle around them and then go back to where I can stand and watch them.

    Thanks for stopping by my bloggie and for your kinds words about Josh. We still miss him a lot.

    ReplyDelete