Monday, May 18, 2009

Extreme Makeover, Toller-Style

Some of us Tollers have ears that don't fall the way they should, in those nice inverted triangles. Mine are especially "wonky" (don't you love that term?), unfortunately. They seemed to start turning that way the day after I arrived at my family's home. My breeders had told my human to watch out for that, so she contacted them when it was obvious that my ears were turning all funky.






See what I mean?!















So the breeders very kindly told my human to bring me back, so they could do some "cosmetic adjustments". They showed her how to create weights out of a quarter sandwiched in between two pieces of moleskin and glued inside the ears (no, it doesn't hurt, I promise!). This will hopefully make my ear cartiledge grow the right way. It felt a little weird at first and I shook my head a couple times, but then I forgot they were even there. The ear hair eventually grows out and the moleskin falls off, so she will have to replace them many times until I'm 9 months old.



The improvement was immediate...the picture above on my blog header was taken the same day as my first set of ear-weights were attached. Now I look like a Toller is supposed to look!

6 comments:

  1. good morning, sedona (it's just after 7am over here)!
    wow, so you have earpocket money?
    cool!

    tailwags,
    sienna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Sedona has pocket change. Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm...
    my human's taken a good look at my ears after reading this post, and will send a photo of me to my breeder to ask if *i* should have earpocket money too.

    tailwags,
    sienna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of my ballet days and we had to wear moleskin on our toes-
    en pointe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm rollin' with the big bucks :-)
    Sienna, I think you're too young to know if your ears will turn wonky. My breeders said they usually start using ear weights around 4 months, but at 3.5 months mine were so obviously flyaway that they said to start the treatment early. You still have a ways to go before you'll know for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you be able to tell me what kind of glue you used? I have adhesive moleskin but he adhesive is not strong enough to keep the mole skin attached.

    ReplyDelete